Sunday 27 April 2008

VMware 6.03 on Ubuntu 8.04 compile error

After upgrading Ubuntu to 8.04, I ran into an error reconfiguring VMware with vmware-config.pl:
include/asm/bitops_32.h:9:2: error: #error only can be included directly, and vmmon-only compile failes
I found a helpful blog describing 10 easy steps to fix the problem. Here is the list of steps (security issues corrected)
  1. cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source
  2. cp vmmon.tar vmmon.tar.orig
  3. sudo tar xvf vmmon.tar
  4. cd vmmon-only/include/
  5. sudo vi vcpuset.h
  6. change line 74 from: #include “asm/bitops.h” to: #include “linux/bitops.h”
  7. rm vmmon.tar
  8. sudo tar cvf vmmon.tar vmmon-only/
  9. sudo rm -rf vmmon-only/
  10. sudo vmware-config.pl
After this, I could start VMware. Robert, thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Well I to but I think the post should prepare more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

I am not going to be original this time, so all I am going to say that your blog rocks, sad that I don't have suck a writing skills